1. The dog park will be closed Tuesday, Oct 15, from 10:00 AM until noon for maintenance, cleanup and tree planting. Volunteers from the company Rosetta Stone will be participating in the efforts.
2. Please help keep the cleanup efforts going by making sure everyone picks up after their dogs. The future of the dog park depends on park users keeping it clean of poop and trash.
3. As the days are getting shorter, please note that the Shirlington dog park closes 30 minutes after sunset. Everyone and their dogs MUST be out of the park by then. Violators are subject to being cited for trespassing. The closest dog park that has lights and is open later is Ft Bernard, which is up the hill on Walter Reed Drive. See the link under “Resources” on this site for details and list of other dog parks that are open later.
4. Updates on possible new dog park in Pentagon City: Efforts continue to establish a dog park to meet vital needs in the Pentagon City area. The Aurora Highlands Civic Association this summer voted unanimously to support the establishment of a dog park and a resolution was sent to the Arlington County Board. Discussions continue with the Board and public input is critical to make sure dog-lovers’ voices are heard! If you would like to voice your support or help with this initiative, please email Lowell Nelson: firstname.lastname@example.org
5. We are still in need of clean plastic bags, such as those your newspaper comes in, for use in picking up dog poop. Please put them loosely in the two green mailboxes at either end of the park. You can also place them all in an outer bag and hang it on the shed door handle.